Posted by & filed under Server Admin.

Today I had a Cacti server just stop polling out of the blue. It happened around the same time a coworker added a device to monitor though I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it. The box needed a reboot anyway, so I went ahead and gave it a reboot to see if that would be a easy fix. Nope.

Disabled the newly added host, but still no dice. I checked the log file and found:

06/14/2012 07:25:20 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:18.0779 Method:cmd.php Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:12 HostsPerProcess:1 DataSources:0 RRDsProcessed:0 

So the poller was running, but not actually polling… a ls-lah of the RRD directory shows the files have been updated, and have the correct permissions set. The graphs are seemingly being updated with null values.

Forced a run of the cacti poller (ran as sudo or I’d need to run as www-data):

sudo php /usr/share/cacti/poller.php --force

Tail’d the log — note changing the setting under Settings -> General -> Poller Logging Level directly affects what gets logged here so it can he helpful to increase when troubleshooting.

tail -f /var/log/cacti/cacti.log
06/14/2012 07:25:20 PM - SYSTEM STATS: Time:18.0779 Method:cmd.php Processes:1 Threads:N/A Hosts:12 HostsPerProcess:12 DataSources:1214 RRDsProcessed:410 

Looks like it updated… not sure why it stopped. I sort of remember having to do this once before in the past and forcing the re-run fixed it then to IIRC.

Now that it did the full update… letting it poll to see if it does it again as it should…

UPDATE: It is still polling correctly — going to re-enable the host mentioned at the beginning and see what happens.

UPDATE 2: Everything is working good so far… increased my Poller threads from 1 to 2 and enabled process load balancing.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.